Saturday 27 July 2013

Painting a Rug

Immediately post my wedding I has shuttling between cities, getting adjusted to running the house, and doing a whole lot of things that were either new (and needed getting used to) or boring (and needed getting adjusted to). This ensured that my crafting had come to a complete stop. Life was awesome, but was missing a certain cheap-thrills / glee element. So when I took a break to get my messed up health back on track, I decided to ensure that my previously sporadic crafting would now become a regular part of life.

One of the first plans I made was to beautify the everyday use objects that were in desperate need of pretti-fication. When I mentioned this to Shri, his response was "They do??" (Amazingly awesome husband though Shri is; he can live with butt-ugly stuff and never notice). So I started. The first item on my list was a boring, striped cotton area rug. Although eminently useful and colorful, it lacked what I like to call either 'character' or 'pizzazz'.

The colors on the rug kinda made me think of the Savannah (or the fact that I was watching a series on animal life in Africa did). So I decided to paint some animals silhouettes on it, the way they are seen against the evening  / morning light in the documentaries. Of,course, the fact that this meant using a single color was an important deciding factor. :P

This is kinda what inspired me







Once I had decided to do animal silhouettes, I had to choose animals. And I quickly realized that the very bright colors on the rug would dampen the impact that most animal silhouettes would have. So I needed a very distinctive shape, and found that the giraffe best suited my needs. I cut out a giraffe shape in card-paper, and then used it to trace outlines onto the rug in chalk. This helped me decide on the placement, and also ensured that I would not have to deal with a stencil while painting. I was worried that paint may bleed off the edges of a paper / card stencil onto the surrounding areas; particularly since the rug was a very absorbent cotton.

Used a nice brown shade in fabric colors, and applied about three coats for each silhouette. This was the first one.

Photo

Once I was sure I liked what I was making, I added another four behind the first one to complete the side.
Photo

Originally, I had thought of painting on only one side of the rug. But with one side complete, I realized that I would have to paint the other side as well! So more paint was bought, and more giraffe's appeared on the other end of the rug. End result - awesome looking rug that is still looking good and making our living room look cool 2 years later. :)
Photo

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Completely in love with this one! Well, its very neat and cut outs is a good idea.