Tuesday 18 June 2013

Gingerbread Cake for a Monsoon B'Day

B'day season in our home is the Monsoon. Shri's birthday coincides with the beginning of the monsoon, and so it is usually an indoors event. When I say event, I use the word very loosely. I happen to be a pro at making up crazy plans, and managing shindigs. But I also happen to be married to an individual who is emotionally allergic to being celebrated.


Q: So how does one celebrate the birthday of someone who likes to pretend that his birthday doesn't exist? 
A: Do something he doesn't want to ignore! (In this case, it's make him something he'd like to eat.)


No party, no 'Birthday cake' needed. So, I kinda cheated. I took the recipe for the Gingerbread Cake from www.joyofbaking.com and made cupcakes out of it. I didn't use liners, since I planned to make the glaze suggested, and i wanted nice drips down the sides. I figured a man who loved ginger cookies would not be able to question the making of a gingerbread cake. And was I right!!! Once he smelt the  batter, there was even excitement about the proceedings!

This cake is both fragrant and scrumptious, and light as air. It melts in the mouth, and can be eaten both warm and cold (I would recommend warm if made on a cold day). the Lemon Glaze looks adorable; and adds a lovely freshness to the cake. Oh, and yes, easy to make :)
Variation used: I added a handful of cut up candied ginger to the batter just before pouring into a silicon cupcake mould. Worked better than I'd hoped :)

And yes, the flavors intensify the next day. So this is a cake that should be made a day or two before eating time. The only warning I have is to HIDE it away, or it will disappear.



Photo
Photo

The drips on the cupcakes (the Lemon Glaze) look SO adorable, I saw no need for any more decoration. Also, This way they look simple and elegant. :) 








The speed at which these were polished off, i'm guessing it was a Very Happy B'day, Shri! Muah!
Photo





No comments: