Thursday 13 June 2013

Lets Craft Small-er (Jeans)

Jeans. One of the most comfortable pieces of clothing. You can buy 'em and wear 'em right out of the shop - unless you are petite, curvy and not really in shape, like me. Then there's always something that needs to be fixed. So when it was time to buy a new pair, I was not all sunshine in spite of the promise of a shopping trip (still, was mostly sunshine). Once I found a lovely pair of light blue jeans, the positive effects of retail therapy kicked in. Yeh! Once the initial euphoria wore off, I realized that there was no wearing the pretty new pair of jeans till the length was altered (it had a good many extra inches in the leg). Also, while the waist fit me really well, I could do with a little more tailoring to ensure it stayed fitted when sitting down.

And then I found two tips that made my life all happy. The first came from here. This method requires one to fold the leg in, and stitch the original hem bit to the point which is one's required length. The flap of extra material can be either cut away, or hemmed up. I could definitely do that at home!! And so, I did. Because the original hem was retained, and none of my stitching was at all visible, all the detailing was just the same.

This is how much I needed to fold the jeans.....
Photo

This is how they looked when finished. This technique would work much better with a softer material, of course.
Photo

Now to make the waist fit.
This second tip was even simpler. This idea is genius, it is!! And I found it here. A tad bit of elastic, thread that blends in with the denim and the zig-zag setting on the sewing machine. I haven't done this, but I hope to try it on a low - waist pair of jeans soon.

All that's left to do is wear my newly shortened jeans and go meet some friends. :)




No comments: